Thursday, March 5, 2009

TENT


Introduction
I will have “Library on the Lawn Day.” I will set a large tent up in the school yard and we will have library outside. I will have a triangular piece of concrete on display with the poem written on the back. I will ask the students if they have ever camped in a tent. I will share how much fun my family has camping at the lake. I will ask the students if they know what concrete poetry is and accept all ideas. I will read the poem one time without showing the students the poem written on the back of the concrete triangle. I will then turn the piece of concrete over and read the poem again.


Tent
By Kristine O’Connell George

First,
smooth dirt.
No rocks or roots.
Next, sharp stakes, poles,
strong nylon rope. Shake, snap.
Billow, whoof, settle. Tug. Pull taut.
Our tent is up! Blooming, bright orange.


From TOASTING MARSHMALLOWS: CAMPING POEMS. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2001

Extension
After showing the students the form of the poem I will ask again what they think concrete poetry is. I will direct the discussion until the students understand. We will have two activities. All students will have an opportunity to help set up a small tent—orange of course. All students will get to write their own triangle shaped poem using paper with a triangle on it. It can be about a tent or anything that pertains to a triangle. Examples of triangles are the geometric shape itself (math), top of house, church steeple, air vent window on a car, and Doritos chips.

No comments: