Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I WON THE PRIZE

Poetry Break

Introduction
I would have some trophies (spelling bee, AR) and other “prizes” along with some books about games, contests, winning, and losing displayed. I would ask the students if they have ever won anything.

I Won the Prize
By Kalli Dakos

I won
I won
I won
The prize
I won it
Right before
Their eyes
I’m the best kid
In this class
I came out first
Instead of last
I studied hard
I won the game
My life will never
Be the same
I won
I won
I won
The prize
I won it
Right before
Their eyes.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
Dakos, Kalli. 1990. IF YOU’RE NOT HERE, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND: POEMS ABOUT SCHOOL. New York: Simon & Schuster.

Extension
The students may just start repeating the, “I won,” with you, however, if they don’t, have them do those lines chorally. Let the children tell about something they have won and how they felt. After everyone has had a chance to share, have the students tell about when they lost at a competition. The poem says, “I studied hard.” Another discussion to initiate would be about preparing for different games or contests.

No comments: